[Sca-cooks] no more OT than some: speaking of tongues....

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Oct 13 04:51:42 PDT 2001

Volker Bach wrote:

> Eh? We seem to be talking of different langues de
> chats. The ones I know are thin, roughly
> tongue-shaped chocolate that do not even involve
> pastry. What kind of cats' tongues are we
> discussing, Anne-Marie?

I confess I have to come out on the side of pastry cat tongues, too. In my usual spirit of live-and-let-live and tolerance for heterodoxy, I recall being a little surprised by Anne-Marie's description of chocolate ones, but I figured I'd just change my name to Horatio and consider all the things in heaven and earth undreamt, etc. However, all the recipes I've ever seen have been for a crispy, short batter piped through a pastry bag onto a baking sheet in a distinctive langue shape, and baked until brown around the edges, pale in the middle, and crispy. I'm pretty sure there's also a recipe in Paula Peck's "Art of Fine Baking", which I'll post this evening if I get home at a decent hour.

Adamantius

--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com