[Sca-cooks] Mamoul (was new gadget)

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Oct 15 13:45:44 PDT 2001

Farina is a fine meal (although different mills may produce varying degrees
of coarse and fine farinas) made from grain.  Usually, the grain is
identified as part of the name.  If it isn't then wheat is a common
assumption.  Semolina is a middling farina specifically of durum wheat.

Unless you come across a pre-17th Century recipe without it, you may as well
keep the sugar.  It was used in the Near East before the Islamic expansion.

Bear

I did a search on "mamoul recipe", and came up with several hits.
One page was "Adventures in Armenian Cooking" (
http://www.cilicia.com/armo_cb_anoush.html#MAMOUL )

And using farina (which is bloody close to semolina), though this one adds
sugar to its dough.  Maybe exchange the sugar and vanilla for rosewater?
And they use a spoon as the molding object, but I can see how it would be
quite easy to use the carved mold instead.
Regards,
Maggie MacD.

MAMOUL -Akaby Yaylaian
clipped>