[Sca-cooks] Marzipan 8 track tapes

Tara Sersen Boroson tsersen at nni.com
Mon Oct 15 08:39:06 PDT 2001

Philip W. Troy & Susan Troy wrote:

> I believe there was some kind of financial intricacy involved wherein
> bids would not be accepted by our Kingdom Exchequer unless they fell
> below a certain amount for total expenditures. I forget the details, but
> I remember there was a reason it was set it up the way it was, and I did
> originally state that I would be able to provide more or less the same
> feast for as many as perhaps 450 without significant loss of quality.
  <snippage>
> Of course, there's probably no real reason to view the below-the-salt
> concept as being necessarily a financial problem as mentioned earlier,
> if done right, but I do think having below-the-salt puts a bit more
> pressure on the cooks to provide a bit more ostentation than they would
> otherwise provide at an ordinary feast, for the above-the-salt people.
> And this _is_ the People's Republic of the East, after all.

Excellent points.  A slight variant on the idea would be to provide
extra food as a tavern.  Same basic food idea - a couple of stews,
bread.  Maybe gingerbread or some other small sweet.  Depending on what
kind of facilities are at the site people might not even have to eat in
the same room.  If it fits in financially, it could be part of the site
fee; If not, it could be done as a private effort, a fund-raiser
perhaps.  Maybe a fund to provide a larger feast for next year's 12th
Night!  ;)

-Magdalena