[Sca-cooks] Help- Northern Indian sotlety ideas

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sun Oct 14 23:08:19 PDT 2001

>Our 12th night's theme is "A Caravan to India", northern Indian, 15th or 16th
>c. I think.  Anyone have any ideas on what materials and/or subject matter
>would be the most plausible for that place and time?  I've used all sorts of
>different foodstuffs to make subtleties in the past, so new things won't scare
>me.

As it happens, there is a good primary source for the period--the
_Ain I Akbari_. It is an account of life at the court of the Emperor
Akbar, and includes ingredient lists--with quantities but without
instructions--for thirty dishes. It also has a recipe for making
bread and instructions for distilling arrack.

You can find a few of the dishes in the Miscellany, webbed on my
site. Finding the book itself may be hard, unless you have access to
a good university library. It's part of a larger work called the
Akbarnama.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/