[Sca-cooks] OLWEN'S MARZIPAN

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 15 11:15:44 PDT 2001

>Olwen,
>I have been meaning to ask you all through this thread: do you make your
>own
>marzipan or do you buy it in little cans? I was wondering because the
>little
>cans can get awfully expensive.
>
>But now you have me thinking of marzipan playtime.
>Do you have a favorite recipe for making the marzipan?
>And (and I might have missed this) How & where do you keep the left over
>marzipan or marzipan for long term storage. And what is considered long
>term?
>Thanks!!! (and congrats again on your Perl)
>Phillipa

I have made my own marzipan from scratch.  It is a not that much fun and is
costly.  I get almond paste in #10 cans, which is 7 pounds of paste, at
Restaraunt Depot.  That is a restaurant supply house.  I mix the 7 pounds of
paste with 7 pounds of powdered sugar in Master Chirharts kitchenaide.  It
is great fun and very messy.  I store the marzipan in ziplock bags in the
vegetable bin in the fridge.  It can keep up to a year or so if you have it
that long.  I make and use somewhere in the area of 60 to 80 pounds of
marzipan a year.  This year you can add at least 24 more pounds to that as I
have a rather daunting soltie planned for 12th night.
Olwen