[Sca-cooks] Pancake sizes

Philip W. Troy & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 15 15:03:34 PDT 2001

  Olwen the Odd wrote:

> I'm sorry.  I must be missing something.  How big of a pancake do you
> make?
> And why big?  I know that is not the subject you asked an opinion on but I
> am just so curious.

Actually, unless you're talking about either blini or American
flapjack-type pancakes, most cultures seem to value pretty sizable
pancakes. For example, the crepes in crepes Suzette are traditionally
folded into quarters on the plate in part because they'd hang over the
edge of a dessert plate. Certainly they could be made into stacks of
smaller pancakes if anyone really wanted to. And then there are the
German, Austrian, and Swiss pancakes that are often a foot or more in
diameter; one of these, rolled up and dusted with sugar or perhaps
sauced with a fruit-based stuff like apricot, or maybe chocolate sauce,
usually serves two.

Adamantius