[Sca-cooks] competition with the regular feast

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Oct 16 06:44:58 PDT 2001

I'll respond to this part of Stefan's comments.

Generally in all the feasts that I have worked over
the years, we tend to serve dishes to a set table of
a certain size. You send a dish out to the table. It
serves 8. We don't normally dish out 225 individual
plates or small dishes of any one item that could then
be served individually to people here and there across
the feast hall. For the feast this coming weekend, it's
set up on tables of twelve. The desserts are being set
up for 12 portions for serving on one platter. It's a
question of fairness (making sure that people get what
they paid for) time, efficiency, enough help, enough room
in the kitchen, etc. Since we are serving more than one
course, it's not quite the same set-up as a catered banquet
where they serve the salad on a plate, then bring the
dinner plate and lastly the dessert plate. Diners with
various flags might work in restaurants, but if you are
serving a number of people at an SCA feast at one time
it could be chaos in very short order.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway