[Sca-cooks] competition with the regular feast

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Oct 15 21:58:49 PDT 2001

Sieggy said:
>     My household set up our tavern to pick up a lot of the slack and relieve
> pressure on the feastie beasties. We stop serving at least 3 hours before
> feast - if we started selling dinner, most people would stop eating feast
> completely. We have a LOT of people asking us to stay open for dinner, but
> I'm not going to compete with the kingdom for feast seats. We're a service,
> not a competitor.

Why shouldn't there be competition?

No, I am being serious.

1) The kingdom has already limited the feast size, thereby enusring
that not everyone could be fed.

2) Having multiple feasts means something for everyone. Those who want
cheap food or non-period food can eat the standard feast. Those that
are willing to pay more or try more unusual foods can eat with the
competition.

3) With more onsite choices, perhaps less would leave to check out
the mundane choices.

4) Competition is good. Choice is good. I think both would lead to
better feasts or at least folks getting the type of feast they want.
"If we started selling dinner, most people would stop eating feast
completely". Well, if this happened or if there was a major drop
in the number eating the regular feast, then it should indicate to
those putting on these events that something needs to be changed
or improved with the way the feasts are being done.

If the site permits, then maybe you could still sit with your friends,
but you and they could actually get different feasts. You would use
different colored flags or something so servers could serve the
appropriate feasters.

The main restraint on multiple, simulatanious feast is the available
kitchen space and facilities. Obviously, in this case, the tavern
has already worked around this.
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net