[Sca-cooks] RE: Scappi pie recipe

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 17 04:13:38 PDT 2001

On 17 Oct 2001, at 2:09, phoenissa at netscape.net wrote:

> Well, my Italian is pretty shaky, and my dictionary only provides
> "torta: p= ie, cake."  But I like the French etymology that you
> suggest below (from "t= ordre," meaning twist).  The modern Italian
> word for "twist" is "torcere"..= .close enough, I guess.

I did a little hunting through dictionaries.  If I read them correctly,
"tortiglione" comes from the Latin "tortilis" (meaning twisted or winding).
So they all have a similar meaning, which refers to the shape of the rolled-
up pastry.

> Wow - they're practically identical!  Crazy ;-p

It *was* plagiarized, after all.  And since that was an accepted practice
back them, why should Granado have troubled to change the wording?

> Vittoria

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net