Scappi pie recipe Re: [Sca-cooks] RE: Mamoul

phoenissa at netscape.net phoenissa at netscape.net
Tue Oct 16 23:09:52 PDT 2001

"Robin Carroll-Mann" <rcmann4 at earthlink.net> wrote:

>This explains
>why I could not find a definition for "tortillon" in any Spanish dictionary,
>including the RAE. "Tortillon" must be Granado's Hispanicization of
>"tortiglione". (Can some kind Italian-reading person tell me something about
>the etymology of the Italian word?)

Well, my Italian is pretty shaky, and my dictionary only provides "torta: pie, cake."  But I like the French etymology that you suggest below (from "tordre," meaning twist).  The modern Italian word for "twist" is "torcere"...close enough, I guess.

>My apologies to those who find it too long, but I am appending a copy of my
>translation of Granado's recipe to the bottom of this post, to make it easier
>to compare the two.

Wow - they're practically identical!  Crazy ;-p

Vittoria