[Sca-cooks] Tongue - blech

Tara Sersen Boroson tsersen at nni.com
Wed Oct 17 09:13:43 PDT 2001

I agree in theory, though to be honest I will never get over the look of
tripe or certain other organ meats.  If someone were to serve it to me
in such a way that I didn't know what it was and I found out that I
liked it, well, I'd probably eat it prepared that way again.  But, I
still wouldn't be able to get over the way it looks sitting there under
plastic wrap at the grocery store.  Tongue doesn't look that gross, so
if I had a good reason to try it I suppose I might.  I didn't believe
I'd like sushi until I tried it, and now I'm an addict.  So, some of us
are entirely willing to change our minds given the right opportunity.
But, that doesn't mean that we're always eager to take that first try.
Sorry, but tripe just turns my tummy.  Other things are too expensive to
order as an experiment.  I generally like game meats, but I'm not
willing to pay $25-$35 to sample alligator at a restaurant.

Scrapple, on the other hand, isn't at all icky in theory.  But, I
wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.  Heck, I won't sit next to
somebody eating it in a restaurant.  It smells like something violently
regurgitated...

-Magdalena