[Sca-cooks] Dayboards

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Oct 17 11:15:19 PDT 2001

> I try to do that, but in some places (not naming groups,) you get
> massive resistance to trying to serve anything except "fighter food" at
> fighting events.  Lots of fresh fruit, pickles, hard boiled eggs, hard
> pretzels, cubed cheese, maybe sliced ring bologna.  This kind of control
> gets so extreme that, for one breakfast, I wasn't even allowed to buy
> the food I was to prepare.  I just showed up in the kitchen to heat up
> what the autocrat bought for me.  Scrapple, scrambled eggs, sauteed
> onions and bell peppers, english muffins.

Yes, this is a tradition: don't mess with Sunday morning breakfast.
On the other hand, there is also a strong tradition of the autocrat buying
the non-feast food (partly because of the mass use of fresh fruit and
veggies bought in one order).

Another part of this is because of an incident in which not only did the
two dayboard cooks both spend the entire budget, (thus overspending the
budget by 100%) but the guy who spent the entire budget on meat failed to
make arrangements to get the meat properly cooked, and the bigos (with
mushrooms) that he served made a number of people ill.

In my time doing dayboards, I would say that there were a minority of
dayboards I worked on where the cooks bought all or a majority of the
foodstuff-- all the other ones, either I bought nothing or only bought
some or all of the protein.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa