[Sca-cooks] Tongue - blech

Tara Sersen Boroson tsersen at nni.com
Wed Oct 17 12:35:48 PDT 2001

> In heaven's name...how was it cooked?  I have been eating scrapple...and I know
> what goes into it because my grandmother used to make it when hogs were butchered
> on their farm...all of my life, and have never noticed any kind of objectionable
> odor!  All I've ever been able to smell is the cornmeal frying!

Deep fried, pan fried or baked.  Any way, it smells about the same.
And, I've smelled both the cheap stuff that diners get and the homemade
stuff from my grandfather and lots that I'm sure was in between.  Bleck.
  Of course, objectional odor is totally personal.  We could be smelling
the exact same things.  I despised it for years before I found out what
went into it.  The "real" stuff isn't scary in terms of ingredients,
just strange by some standards ("Boil the pigs head.  Scrape off
everything that rises to the top of the kettle...")  But, commercially,
it's the breakfast version of hot dogs.

-Magdalena