[Sca-cooks] Wierd powder scare

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Thu Oct 18 08:38:33 PDT 2001

hey all from Anne-Marie, your favorite neighborhood microbiologist

I too am puzzled by the level of hysteria some people are showing....a
receptionist wants gloves and a respirator to wear while she works,
buildings shut down, people afraid to open their mail. I suppose its the
fear of the unknown, and not understanding the situation.

I'm recommending everyone check out the Centers for Disease Control
webpages. http://www.bt.cdc.gov/Agent/Anthrax/Anthrax.asp

They have great, accessable and accurate information on Anthrax, including
symptoms to look for, very specific instructions on what to do if you get
something you're worried about, exactly what the risk of death is, how the
disease is transmitted, etc.

The CDC has always shown just the right amount of concern, and steps to the
plate again :).

(if you really want to get freaked, check out the USAMRIID site. eep!)

--AM, who always wanted to work for the CDC when she grew up :)

PS does anyone else find it ironic that the very things that terrorists
despise about the US are the very things that protect us as a nation
against attacks like Anthrax spore? basic good health and immunizations for
lots of stuff in the "herd", effective treatment as quick as the nearest
ER, an overworked but effective public health system, literally TONS of
stockpiled medical supplies waiting in the wings, effective and instant
communication reaching almost everyone, a higher level of education in the
general population, basic good hygeine and public health...look how quickly
cases are recognised, isolated and treated. We then can track down all the
contacts and treat them. This is key to isolating and limiting the
expansion of any epidemic. yay team! :)