[Sca-cooks] Cake pans

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu Oct 18 11:14:40 PDT 2001

I have never seen such a shape in a cake pan. Petal pans, square pans,
circle and half-circle, rectangular, giant lips, teddy bears, Blue (of
Blue's Clues), Scooby Doo, a Della Robbia wreath, Barbie, Winnie the Pooh,
Tigger, spheres, footballs, rocking horses, horseshoes, carousel horses,
Xmas trees, guitars, race cars, Power Rangers, Batman, SUVs, 3D steam
engines, etc., etc. But no escutcheon.

There is, however, a Wilton shaped pan in the shape of a castle. You could
do a castle decorated in his colors, which would be pretty nifty, or you
could build a castle of square/rectangular cake and decorate it
accordingly. IIRC it's the Enchanted Castle pan. You want to bake it at a
slightly lower temperature than called for, otherwise your cake will peak
mightily, requiring substantial trimming to sit flat.

Personally, I would either use the castle pan and a separate decorated
sheet cake, or I would build a tiered square cake to look like a
castle. If I was *really* motivated, I'd use gingerbread for the walls and
roof, and marzipan for pennons and banners hanging off the battlements.

Or, just bake two half-sheet cakes and trim the one down for the point of
the escutcheon.

Margaret