[Sca-cooks] Marzipan fruits, the crash course

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu Oct 18 14:20:32 PDT 2001

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Olwen the Odd wrote:

> >I can give you directions to make fruits, if you like, which is a
> > >traditional thing to do with marzipan. And potatoes, which although >not
> >fruits,are dead easy. The only thing easier, not counting mixing >in the
> >color, are oranges.
> >
> >Sheesh. Now I'm going to have to see where I can get almond paste. Olwen,
> >this is *your* fault. ;-)
> >
> >Margaret
>
> I take full responsibility for your folly.  Having never attempted to make
> the traditional fruits, however, I would love to get these directions.  Go
> figure.  I never seem to do the norm.
> Olwen

Ok. First, figure out what sort of fruits you want to make, and color your
marzipan appropriately: green for apples, peachy orange for peaches,
orange for oranges, yellow for bananas, red (well, pink, really) for
strawberries, uncolored for potatoes, reddish purple for grapes, and so
forth.

Potatoes: make round balls of marzipan. With the blunt end of a flat
toothpick, make the eyes. When you've finished all your taters, roll them
in cocoa. Voila! Making them slightly oblong is optional--the ones I've
seen commercially are round.

Oranges: again, round balls. Roll them on the teeny side of a box
grater--the one that silly people use to zest oranges and lemons until
they go buy Microplane. The teeny holes with pointy bits around
them. Insert a clove for the stem, preferably one without the round bit of
the bud.

Peaches: round ball, then form the crease with the side of a
toothpick. Brush lightly with food coloring--a dry brush barely dipped in
color with most of the color wiped off works best for this. Practice on a
sheet of paper or sacrificial marzipan until you get the wispy blush
effect. We always used artificial leaves for this--I guess you could use
small rose leaves for the same effect.

Strawberries: strawberry shapes of pink, rolled on the grater for the seed
effect. Again, artificial leaves. Bakery supply houses should carry them.

Bananas: banana shapes of yellow, then brush with brown color in teeny
streaks, just a little for effect.

Apples: round balls, then dimple them just like the apple eggs. For those
of you who don't remember that part--squeeze between thumb and finger to
make the stem and blossom dimples of the apple. Brush with red color like
the peaches, and insert artificial leaves.

Grapes: round balls of reddish purple, with or without a blush.

Breads: make little loaf shapes, brush with egg white, and bake until
golden brown on top. These are just too darned cute for words. I'll have
to check with Mom for the proper temperature and whether you actually bake
them or broil them (or I'll experiment).

Carrots: carrot shapes of orange, with artificial leaves, and occasional
creases done with the edge of a flat toothpick.

Roses, Olwen has already posted the instructions for.

Any questions, please ask.

Margaret