[Sca-cooks] Marzipan creations, like onions...

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Oct 18 22:43:28 PDT 2001

Adamantius asked:
> Olwen, have you investigated the almond flour sometimes found in Indian or Middle eastern markets? ISTR getting it for about $5 a pound (maybe less), mixing it with an equal amount of powdered sugar and enough diluted rosewater to moisten it all to a cohesive state when mixed and kneaded. It made an ever so slightly coarser version of marzipan, not especially sticky (there was just a hint of released almond oil, which combatted that). I suspect that what I ended up with was perhaps not quite as fine as a modern commercial product, but very possibly as fine, or very nearly so, as a hand-made period product. And then, how well my cost compares to your method, I have no idea.

Thank you, Admantius. I've bought some almond flour recently (from either
an Asian market or more likely Central Market's bulk section) with the
idea of using this for almond milk. I've been thinking of trying some
marzipan things after all the comments here. Maybe this should be what
I start with.

Is the sugar only for taste? Or does it affect the structure? I
wonder if Splenda or other artifical, granulated suger substitute
would work?

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net