Favorite fruitcakes was [Sca-cooks] Flying Haggis

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Oct 20 04:43:43 PDT 2001

"Pano d'oro," AKA pandoro, the golden cake-like fruit bread from Verona.
The earliest known recipe is (IIRC) 18th Century, but it is speculated that
the bread originally appeared in the Late Middle Ages.  Lovely stuff.

Also lovely are panettone and panforte.  Panettone is more bread-like, while
panforte is mostly fruit in a matrix of honey and flour.

And then there are the stollens, the German fruit breads.

None of them resembles the commercial flying fruit cake.

Bear

>since you asked about our favorite fruit cake....
>
>I detest the stuff. Something about those green cherry
things....*shudder*....