[Sca-cooks] Cake pans

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Oct 19 05:50:00 PDT 2001

Hey! Color flow is *not* always easier.

If you're going to use color flow, you might want to put sugar cubes
underneath it to support it and keep it off the icing. Depending on the
weather conditions and how long it's going to sit there, the moisture in
the icing can cause the color flow, which, after all, is basically royal
icing, to melt.

If you don't want to bother with color flow, and are still wondering how
to get that design on your cake, keep reading.

You know those tubes of cake decorating gel you can buy at the grocery
store? Well, if you take your design and draw it on parchment or wax
paper, then trace it FROM THE BACK with the gel, then lay the paper
gel-side down on the frosted cake, and smooth gently with your hand, then
peel the paper carefully off, you have a nice outline of your chosen
design on your cake that you can then fill in with colored icing. This
method works best when you've smoothed your cake frosting as much as
possible and let it dry a bit so it doesn't stick to the paper when you
transfer the design.

Lastly, if you are going to be using a lot of red or other dark colors,
you might want to start with chocolate icing and color it that way as the
large quantity of color needed for white icing to be that dark can give a
bitter taste. If you are using only a little, you can always use the
pre-packaged tubes of colored icing. Yes, it's a cheat. But a tube of
icing costs about the same as a new jar of color, and you'll use up rather
a lot of it if you are trying for dark colors.

Margaret