[Sca-cooks] cake icing

Rob Downie rdownie at icenter.net
Fri Oct 19 14:48:06 PDT 2001

For mundane cakes, I usually use a piping bag with a wide flat tip to apply the
icing without liberating a lot of crumbs.  You then smooth it it out with a
decorating comb or spatula and voila' - no crumbs!

Faerisa

"Pixel, Goddess and Queen" wrote:
<snip>
> I've done little cake decorating, so some of this is unclear to me.
> What do you mean by a "crumb coat of icing"?
It is indeed a sacrificial layer. Chilling the cake helps, too, but basically what
you are doing is sealing the cake so you don't get crumbs your pretty icing.<snip>