[Sca-cooks] Fruit cake recipe

Nicolas Steenhout vavroom at bmee.net
Sun Oct 21 15:41:23 PDT 2001

Helewyse,

Thank you for that recipe.  It looks awefully close to what my step mother
does, though she's French Canadian :-)  I suspect she's gotten the recipe
from some "little old English lady" :-)

One thing you mention in your notes that I'd like to comment on:

>*2      In most of my mothers recipes when she says butter she uses
>margarine.  The cake is so strongly flavored that the flavor of the butter
>does not come through and margarine is cheaper.

Beware!  Butter and margarine are not always easily interchanged, and not
only from a taste point of view.  The water content of margarine is higher,
and therefore does not react the same way during cooking / baking.

To whit:  The cookies I'm making for the cookie exchange just does NOT work
with real butter...  And I'm a butter kinda guy.  (BTW, oatmeal and
chocolate chip cookies...)

Also, margarine will burn faster than butter when used for pan frying, and
butter already burns on the quick side...  From memory (12++ years ago in
cooking school), margarine burns at 120 deg C (248F), while butter goes at
140 deg C. (284F)

Just food for thought.

Nicolas
http://www.bmee.net