[Sca-cooks] Re: Favorite fruitcakes

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Mon Oct 22 07:57:19 PDT 2001

Actually, mincemeat was originally made with meat.  I can remember my
grandmother and aunts making it and canning it for use all year long.
They made it around the time when they butchered in the fall, after the
frost.  I have, somewhere, my grandmother's recipe for it...it's quite
long and complicated, as I recall.  I'll look around upstairs and see if
I can find it.  Failing that, I believe that Maggie Black's book on
Christmas foods through the ages has an old-fashioned mince-meat recipe
in it.

Kiri