[Sca-cooks] Italian Renn. Food

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Oct 22 10:56:00 PDT 2001

David Borland wrote:>
>   I'm looking for references for late period Italian food, Venetian
> particularly, but any Italian will do.  I have already got Platina, "On
> Right Pleasure and Good Health"  Does anyone know of any other references in
> English? Luciano Foscari
English translations of Italian cookery books have not been
a major priority within publishing circles or academic presses.
There have been scattered recipes from
various late period and early modern cookery books, but
there isn't really one great source in English.
For another project earlier this fall, I did a quick count
and came up with more than 20 culinary works that were published
in Venice between 1475 and 1629. That's a lot of material, but
it's primarily in Italian with some in Latin. There have
been a number of reprints and facsimile editions of these
works, but these too are in Italian.

Johnnae llyn lewis  Johnna Holloway