[Sca-cooks] Wooden Bowls

Hrolf Douglasson Hrolf at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 23 01:05:54 PDT 2001

A job I do regularly...be prepared to have a heart attack.
We always use wooden bowls on site and they quickly develop a musty odur
when left by others over winter in damp conditions.
1)put them in the DISHWASHER on a medium setting (I know you shouldn't but
this WORKS)
2)when they come out dry them with a cloth and then put them in the oven on
a very low heat to dry them right through.
3)get your biggest mixing bowl and thoroughly oil the wooden bowls (I use a
mixed oil like crisp and dry as the mix of hard and soft fats seems ideal)
4) leave to drain in the mixing bowl.....you'll be surprised at how much oil
they take up and I really oil thoroughly.
I have only lost 1 bowl in somew years and the musty smell vanished
completely.
vara