[Sca-cooks] Wooden Bowls

Diana Skaggs upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Tue Oct 23 03:51:50 PDT 2001

At 11:35 PM 10/22/01 -0400, you wrote:
>For lack of a better word, these bowls have acquired a "musky" odor from
>being in storage.  The recommendations I've received so far for trying to
>fix them have ranged from "use a bleach-water mix" to "don't put bleach on
>wood" to "just toss them, because you'll never get rid of the aroma."

Personally, I'd wash them and rinse in the bleach water mix first. I wash
my wooden cutting board with bleach often without harm. Second, you could
try putting charcoal briquettes in with the bowls. They absorb a lot of
odors. Or you could try washing them with baking soda. I'd hate to see the
bowls get pitched without giving some home remedies a try. You might also
try washing them in lemon juice water, if you don't want to use bleach. If
you use the bleach, make sure you rinse them well afterwards, and don't let
them soak.

Lady Liadan