[Sca-cooks] Frozen eel source

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 23 12:26:17 PDT 2001

>Master Chirhart answered me with:
> > Just made eel pie weekend before ,Wow great stuff.  yes save were you
>can
> > get twenty pounds or more.Its sad that people let it bother them about
>the
> > way they wiggle and squirm  Chirhart  (  Recipe from the Queens Taste)
>
> > > I often get rather unusual email because of search engines > I have
>that
> > much need for that much eel, since I doubt they would sell
> > > just one carton. Even if they did, I'm not sure what I would do with
> > > 20 something pounds of eel.
> > >
> > > Has anyone actually served eel at one of their feasts? How well was
> > > it received?
>
>So, how much eel did you serve at your feast and how well did it go
>over? By the time they are served the eels certainly shouldn't be
>wiggling and squirming.
>
>I don't cook feasts, so when thinking of cooking eel, it would just
>be for me. Hardly worth going through the import hassles needed to
>get it from this source, even if they would sell just one carton.
>
>How is eel sold from other sources? This appears to be simply frozen,
>since they talk about it being good for processing into the smoked
>eel that Europeans like. Is the other eel available sold "raw" like
>this or smoked?
>--
>THLord  Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra

Stefan we did not do it for a feast (yet) we did it at cooks guild at the
last meeting.  It was a pretty simple recipe.  Actually I got the Master to
do it (pretty sneaky huh?) and I just supplied the eel and the crust.  The
ones I got had been frozen already skinned.  Boneing them was simple after
they boiled.  Cut up some onions add rasins and spices bake.  I may suggest
to folks that if you want to try this dish you may just refer to it as 'fish
and onion pie'.  The flavor is very delicate and the meat very white and
flakey.  It is a wonderful pie.
Olwen