[Sca-cooks] Frozen eel source

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Oct 22 22:54:40 PDT 2001

Master Chirhart answered me with:
> Just made eel pie weekend before ,Wow great stuff.  yes save were you can
> get twenty pounds or more.Its sad that people let it bother them about the
> way they wiggle and squirm  Chirhart  (  Recipe from the Queens Taste)

> > I often get rather unusual email because of search engines > I have that
> much need for that much eel, since I doubt they would sell
> > just one carton. Even if they did, I'm not sure what I would do with
> > 20 something pounds of eel.
> >
> > Has anyone actually served eel at one of their feasts? How well was
> > it received?

So, how much eel did you serve at your feast and how well did it go
over? By the time they are served the eels certainly shouldn't be
wiggling and squirming.

I don't cook feasts, so when thinking of cooking eel, it would just
be for me. Hardly worth going through the import hassles needed to
get it from this source, even if they would sell just one carton.

How is eel sold from other sources? This appears to be simply frozen,
since they talk about it being good for processing into the smoked
eel that Europeans like. Is the other eel available sold "raw" like
this or smoked?

For those who might be interested in eel recipes, there are a few
in this file in the FOOD-MEAT section, although I can't remember
if it includes the one from the Queen's Taste.
eels-msg          (26K)  1/ 9/01    Eel dishes. Getting and cleaning eels.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/eels-msg.html
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net