[Sca-cooks] new to list... and looking for a dish

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Tue Oct 23 13:38:25 PDT 2001

Christopher Pratt schrieb:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to the list and pretty new to the sca (less than a year) and I'm
> pretty interested in cooking.  I also am going to the new comers revel in my
> area, which is this friday, and though that I would try to make something
> period.
>
> So with that in mind, I'd like to ask for a few recipe suggestions.  I would
> like something that I can make in a crockpot friday morning, and leave in
> the pot while I'm at work all day, for the event friday.  It would also be
> great if the ingreadents were available at normal grocery stores.

There are two dishes I have had good success
reheating, and both are typical 'event camp
dishes' that I have made in aluminium pots over
campfires. One is a Cyvé after Taillevent,
redacted by Jeanne Bourin. It works thus:

take 100 grammes of fatty bacon, dice it, fry it
in a bit of butter and add first 2 onions, cut in
rings or diced, and then 2 lbs of beef, cut in
chunks or strips as preferred. Brown it on all
sides. Then pour in a generous glass or three of
red wine (I found that even using a whole bottle
didn't hurt), 2 cloves, 4 grains of whole cardamom
(and bay leaves IMO, but Taillevent didn't say
that) and simmer gently until almost done. Then
you add some lemon juice or vinegar (or verjus, if
you have any), cinnamon, ginger, salt and pepper
(and saffron, though I didn't find it helped any)
and can either dilute the sauce with water or
thicken it with breadcrumbs, depending on your
preferences (I have no idea how thick Taillevent
wanted this, but I serve it as a stew).

The other is a nut porridge after Meister
Eberhard, redacted by Trude Ehlert and
significantly de-redacted by my humble self. You
take a piece of brioche the size of a fist, soak
it in 1/2 liter of milk and mix it up with 1/2 lb
of ground hazelnuts or almonds. Add some sugar (I
prefer it sweet with about 3 ounces of sugar, but
the original recipe doesn't specify any amount
beyond 'sweet') and a few threads of saffron (it
gets significantly stiffer if you also add starch,
but I think Ms Ehlert invented that one - no
mention in the original). Bring it to a boil
(carefully stirring), then take it off and add
some butter and bind with 3 egg yolks. Briefly
reheat, then cool.

I serve that with

Sauce of tart cherries from the same source. It's
made from tart cherries, stoned, boiled soft
(you'll need some water, but be sparing) and
processed, then seasoned with honey, cloves,
pepper and cinnamon and thickened with fresh
breadcrumbs (I don't find the last step strictly
necessary). It keeps well in jars.

I hope this helps a bit

Giano