[Sca-cooks] Serving and High Table

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Oct 24 17:23:27 PDT 2001

>Greetings.  I wonder if we could start a discussion about the
>"couth" way to serve High Table, especially with Royalty seated
>there.  What have folk done?  Several areas to comment on would be
>the following.
>
>1) Who is served first, especially if all the Royals are present?

The dish should be presented to the host, who then indicates where it is to
be served.  Hosting Royalty may courteously direct the service to their
equals or may partake then direct the service to others at the table.  A
baron hosting royalty should look at the dish to see that it is worthy, then
direct the service to the Royals.

>2) As a server, do you serve them or put the dish in front of them
>for them to pass?

>3) How many of each dishes is ideal?  (One?  Two, one for each side
>of the table?)

High Table is a very good place to serve en messe for two.  This allows a
couple to select the dainties they want then direct the service to people
they wish to honor.  The waiter should deliver the dish to the table, but
not try to serve.  Having a waiter by the table to remove dishes as
requested is a good touch.

>4) Should the meats, chicken, etc., be presented whole or cut up?
>If whole, who do you think should cut them up?

Either way is fine.  If whole small birds are delivered to the table, they
would normally be broken apart by the dining parties, then transferred to
their trenchers.  Larger animals delivered whole should be carved before the
table for presentation.  I would suggest being careful about carving at the
table.  Presentation of whole animals is often disconcerting to some people.

>5) What about having one or two "servitors" standing behind High
>Table to assist those Head Table folk in retrieving dishes that are
>out of reach?  (Would solve the dilemma of having to say "Your
>Majesty, would you please have the Baron pass the pickled
>mushrooms?")

A proper duty for a gentle waiter.

>6) For serving the populace, how many of your groups provide serving
>utensils for each dish?  (Or do we expect folk to dip in with the
>spoon/fork they've already had in their mouth?!?)

I prefer to provide serving utensils if at all possible.  Part of my duty is
to display the wealth and power of my patron.

>7) Anything else?
>

>Alys Katharine

Have an almoner and some waiters with voiders to clear at least the High
Table.  It's a nice touch.

Bear