[Sca-cooks] new to list... and looking for a dish

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Oct 23 22:10:47 PDT 2001

Christopher Pratt asked:
> I'm new to the list and pretty new to the sca (less than a year) and I'm
> pretty interested in cooking.  I also am going to the new comers revel in my
> area, which is this friday, and though that I would try to make something
> period.

I would suggest that you take a look through the NEWCOMERS section of my
Florilegium files. I think some of the info there might help you familarize
yourself with the SCA and some of its customs.

If you are working on developing a persona, then the PERSONA and the CULTURES
sections might be of interest.

There are also a number of different food sections.

> So with that in mind, I'd like to ask for a few recipe suggestions.  I would
> like something that I can make in a crockpot friday morning, and leave in
> the pot while I'm at work all day, for the event friday.  It would also be
> great if the ingreadents were available at normal grocery stores.

Other than some of the more unusual spices, many of the recipe ingredients
can be found in your local store. Some of these items may also be in
season only part of the year. For now, if you don't have the spices,
I would leave them out or search for a different recipe. If you search
in the spices-msg file in the Florilegium you will often find some
suggested spice substitutions, but these often won't be as good as
having the 'real thing'.

For the crock pot, I would suggest some of the recipes in this file
in the FOOD-MEATS section:
stews-bruets-msg  (65K)  5/24/00    Period stews and bruets. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/stews-bruets-msg.html

Or maybe one of these in the FOOD section:
onion-soups-msg   (21K) 10/18/00    Period onion soups.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/onion-soups-msg.html
soup-msg         (101K)  1/31/01    Medieval soups. Cooking soups at
events.
                                       recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/soup-msg.html

If you don't like these files, there are 1400 other files you can
take a look at. :-)
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net