[Sca-cooks] Celtic origin...?

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Oct 25 17:36:32 PDT 2001

Druighad at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/25/01 2:13:27 PM Central Daylight Time,
> olwentheodd at hotmail.com writes:
>
> << This is a topic of discussion on the Merry Rose.  I too was interested as I
>  cann't figure out the connection between the french and the celts busides
>  kissing cousins.
>  Olwen
>   >>

> Very much OT Olwen, but the Celtoi were one of the first peoples to settle in
> Gaul(France). The Brittany people still speak a dialect of gaelic, and the
> Celtoi influenced that cooking a great deal, or so it's been surmised.
>
> the Gauls that Ceasar fought were the ancestors of the modern French.

Yes- you are quite right- however, I would suspect that the MR
discussion is not truly on Celts, but on Scots-Irish peoples form later
period. Most people misuse the term Celt. I'm sure you are aware of
that.

That said, the Scots and the French had a long relationship frequently
known as the 'Auld Alliance', which dates into the 9th c, IIRC. By the
11th c they were swapping daughters for marriage arrangments. And often
times harried the English by coordinating attacks (such as during the
Great Rebellion of 1173-74, in which William the Lion of Scotland and
Louis of France teamed with Henry II's sons in an attempt to oust him).
And many other things, of course. Mary Queen of Scots was once Queen of
France, you know. Briefly. Then she went home and married Darnley. Bad
idea.

Don't really know why they had this tie. Maybe the French had a thing
about sheep too, and couldn't admit it at home. ;-)

'Lainie