[Sca-cooks] Pheasants

Nicolas Steenhout vavroom at bmee.net
Fri Oct 26 13:01:27 PDT 2001

Vicente,

Seems like you have a good understanding of the difference between your
farm raised game and an equivalent wild meat.

I have found it unnecessary to wrap the fowl in fat when oven roasting,
*if* you control the temperature of the oven, and if you control the
internal temperature of the bird.  In other words, don't over cook the wee
beastie :-)

So, a few ideas for cooking the thing...

If you want to go fancy...  Lift the breast off the carcass, ending up with
only meat, no bone.  Brown the meat in *very* *hot* pan, very briefly (you
don't want to cook it, you want to simply brown it a little bit).  Then
wrap the breasts in phylo pastry (using regular multi layer technique),
shove the whole thing in the fridge.

Use the carcass to make a brown stock.  Use the legs to do whatever you
wish!  Most hunters won't even bring back the legs of pheasant, as they say
it's too full of tendons to do anything with it.  I'd disagree with that,
been known to pull the tendons out with plyers, or cut the meat to do
pates, or any other kind of stuff.

Anyway, reduce the brown stock till it gets a little thicker.  With the
carcass of one bird, you should be able to make a real nice concentrated
juice, about 2, 3 ounces of liquids.  You can use this as is, or add a bit
of cognac, brandy, or even Sherry or Port.

Prepare a puree of fresh raspberries, warm it up, do NOT add sugar.  When
you are ready to serve, or nearly so, put the packets of phylo/pheasant in
a very hot oven, like 500, until the phylo is browned.  By that time, you
will have a medium rare (or so) piece of pheasant breast in the
phylo.  Serve with both the stock reduction and the raspberry puree.

I'd garnish with snow peas, baby carrots, and "parisienne" potatoes (melon
balled, and pan fried in butter)

Or

Stuffed pheasant with stilton and apricot...

roast a small red Bell pepper, peel the skin off.  chop finely.  roast a
couple cloves of garlic.  cut down two apricots, mix cheese, garlic, half
the pepper, stuff in pheasant breast (where you've slit a "pocket" in the
breast).

Cook the other half of the pepper, the other two apricots, the roasted
garlic, in some dry white wine.  puree the whole thing.  Pan fry the
breasts, serve with the light puree.

Lemme know if you want more :-)

Did I mention that wild meat and game meat is a bit of a passion of mine? :-)