[Sca-cooks] Pheasants

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 26 12:55:39 PDT 2001

>So, does anyone have a favorite pheasant recipe?  It doesn't have to be
>period, but something a little out of the ordinary would be nice. (I'm
>planning a somewhat gourmet dinner for my sweetie, and I like showing off
>for her.)
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Vicente

Here's one I like although it also calls for a little barding.  You almost
have to because they will dry out in a minute.

Pheasant with Cognac and Apples

1 pheasant
salt and pepper to taste
fatback (as needed)
2 tart apples
Tbls butter
3 oz. cognac
4 os. cream frache
carrots, onion, celery

Wash, salt and pepper and bard the bird.  Roast on a bed of carrots, onion
and celery chopped and about a cup water at 350 degrees till done, about 1
1/2 hours.

Peel and core the apples and slice each one into about eight pieces then
saute them in the butter till tender.

Whe the bird is done remove it and the veggies from the pan and keep the
bird warm.  Deglaze the pan using the cognac, add the cream frache and
simmer.  Strain the sauce and adjust seasonings if needed.

Serve the bird accompanied by the apples and sauce.  You can either eat the
veggies as a left-over if you want.  They usually don't look good enough for
a fancy dinner in my opinion.  They are just cooked for the flavor.