[Sca-cooks] Recognition, was 13th Century Icelandic Fish Skin Tanning Techniques

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Oct 26 14:33:10 PDT 2001

"A. F. Murphy" wrote:

> Actually, I might be interested in that nice little houp - that seems to be
> the direction I'm leaning in... As I said, I'm new. No persona yet.

Hey let me know (and I also teach some basic persona classes ;-)) and I
could always send you some basic stuff. Most of my houpps are earliy
15th c, rahter than late, and have simpler sleeves. Sleeves I can
actually work in *gasp*!

> I just thought this was an interesting train of thought, as I had heard it
> from several unrelated people (mostly not in costume.) And I am not, so far
> at least, interested in Laurels, but, as I am a costumer, I have been told
> this when I said I didn't know what period I was interested in yet. Not by
> costume people, BTW. And I agree, the research is much easier in late
> period.

Hey- everyone has an opinion, and it is my observation that those
outside of the peerages have more definite ideas about them than those
inside- I think those inside see more of the flexibility and flow than
those outside, who are more likely to look for formulas and Rules of
Entry. Know what I mean?

> Is there something like this in cooking? I mean, I assume people are more
> likely to know that you *are* cooking if you do feasts, or otherwise make
> things for common consumption...

Late period cooking texts are more accessible too. But I prefer the food
from my time period. I just do.

For my ideas on food, check my last post. But I think it is easy to go
unnoticed when you don't cook feasts. I cook to eat, and to feed my
camp. And that's ok.

Ask any questions you like! That's part of what the list is here for.
(And you are always welcome to drop me a note off line of it's too OT or
whatever).

'Lainie