[Sca-cooks] A little diversion

XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com
Sun Oct 28 14:36:56 PST 2001

In a message dated 10/27/01 11:04:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
bootkiller at hotmail.com writes:

> Are you a food geek?
>
>  Take the following test and determine your personal level of culinary
>  geekdom.
>
>  Do you, or Have you ever:
>
>  1. Lectured complete strangers on the uses of unfamiliar foodstuffs?
           Yep

>  2. Know what "rocket" is?
             No

>  3. Sneered at the lazy yuppie scum who buy premade polenta at the
>  supermarket?
            Eh, once.

>  4. Grown your own herbs?
       Nope

>  5. Grown your own vegetables?
                Yes

>  6. Grown your own wheat?
                  No

>  7. Foregone buying ice cream because the soup bones have taken over your
>  freezer?
                   Not soup bones but unused cornish hens so yes to that
aspect

>  8. Made your own demi-glace?
                Nope

>  9. Own five mortars and pestles, but can't find your pepper mill?
                       Nope

>  10. Consider your mother a heretic for buying premade pie crusts?
                    Yep. I like the homemade graham cracker.

>  11. Subscribe to seven cooking magazines but mooch newspapers from your
>  coworkers?
                       Nope

>  12. Stayed up late reading Escoffier, Brillat-Savarin, or Julia Child?
                          Yep

>  13. Say to yourself, "I can cook better than this" at a trendy restaurant?
                         Nope

>  14. Know the difference between a china cap and a chinoise?
                        Nope

>  15. Fantasize about meeting Charles Ranhofer, James Beard, or Martino da
>  Como?
                       Yep

>  16. Brag about your 10-inch Dick?
>                         Nope
>  17. Know what the last question was about, you vulgar little creature, you?
                     Nope
>  18. Have a special carrying case for your knives, sharpening steel,
>  whetstone, and knife oil?
                 Nope

>  19. Spend hours in the "Used Equipment" section of the restaurant supply
>  store?
                  Yep

>  20. Kept a sourdough starter alive for more than two months?
                   Nope

Heh, scored a 7

6-10 points.  You can cook, and have some clue about technique.  Of course,
you also have a social life.

Misha