[Sca-cooks] A little diversion

Lord Boroghul Khara boroghul at narn.pecan-tree.com
Mon Oct 29 13:08:09 PST 2001

> [Sca-cooks] A little diversion
> Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 15:>Are you a food geek?
> Take the following test and determine your personal level of culinary
> geekdom.
> Do you, or Have you ever:
>
> 1. Lectured complete strangers on the uses of unfamiliar foodstuffs?
Yup, as well as kitchen gadget lectures

> 2. Know what "rocket" is?
Newp

> 3. Sneered at the lazy yuppie scum who buy premade polenta at the
> supermarket?
Newp

> 4. Grown your own herbs?
Yes, and have gotten into what came close to WWIII with my mother over who
got to use them first

> 5. Grown your own vegetables?
Yes, and served them with the bunnies that had the nerve to invade my
garden!!!

> 6. Grown your own wheat?
Does working on an uncle's farm count?

> 7. Foregone buying ice cream because the soup bones have taken over your
> freezer?
Oh, yes.. many times over!

> 8. Made your own demi-glace?
It's on my list of things to do one of these days! Honest!

> 9. Own five mortars and pestles, but can't find your pepper mill?
Own 4, can't find the pepper mill that has the green peppercorns in it,
black, white and pink are in the pantry (unless my sister has been in the
kitchen cooking for a party)

> 10. Consider your mother a heretic for buying premade pie crusts?
No.. She uses them in a pinch.  She makes her own crusts for family and
customers she really really likes.

> 11. Subscribe to seven cooking magazines but mooch newspapers from your
Subscribe to 4 Magazines, swipe my father's paper in the mornings.

> 12. Stayed up late reading Escoffier, Brillat-Savarin, or Julia Child?
My ex wife once commented that I am the only man she ever met that would sit
up at night and read a cookbook as night reading before going to bed.  of
course.......SHE would sit up and read costuming, hairdress and accessories
books

> 13. Say to yourself, "I can cook better than this" at a trendy restaurant?
In some, in others, I have actually gone back and asked the Chef how it was
done, and what else could some of the ingredients be used in.

> 14. Know the difference between a china cap and a chinoise?
Newp.. I would guess they're mushrooms

> 15. Fantasize about meeting Charles Ranhofer, James Beard, or Martino da
No.. I fantasize about meeting Liz Torres, Camryn Manheim, Melissa McCarthy,
Dawn French, Mo' Nique, Cecilia Bartoli and Leona Mitchel

> 16. Brag about your 10-inch Dick?
Pleading the filth... er the fifth

> 17. Know what the last question was about, you vulgar little creature,
you?
See above

> 18. Have a special carrying case for your knives, sharpening steel,
Yup

> 19. Spend hours in the "Used Equipment" section of the restaurant supply
> store?
Marathon gang shopping with my mother, grandmother, aunt, and great aunt

> 20. Kept a sourdough starter alive for more than two months?
Stephan and Niobe Culture still alive and kicking
Amalric and Caia culture still active....one of the three dorman jars left
in the fridge exploded
Aside from the S&N culture in the fridge, I did have a ceramic jar of it
alive on the kitchen counter for 5 months, but I was unemployed at the time,
and baked bread daily.