[Sca-cooks] A little diversion

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 29 12:53:36 PST 2001

[Sca-cooks] A little diversion
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 15:>Are you a food geek?
Take the following test and determine your personal level of culinary
geekdom.
Do you, or Have you ever:

1. Lectured complete strangers on the uses of unfamiliar foodstuffs?
Help folks shop at the store all the time.  Got them to try all number of
new stuff.

2. Know what "rocket" is?
Yup

3. Sneered at the lazy yuppie scum who buy premade polenta at the
supermarket?
Well, I've looked at em.  Can't eat the stuff myself.

4. Grown your own herbs?
Yessiree

5. Grown your own vegetables?
You haven't?

6. Grown your own wheat?
My uncle did when I was little and I lived with him, does that count?

7. Foregone buying ice cream because the soup bones have taken over your
freezer?
I have because I have had too much meat and marzipan in the freezer

8. Made your own demi-glace?
You can buy it???

9. Own five mortars and pestles, but can't find your pepper mill?
I own only three mortar/pestles and still cann't find the pepper mill OR the
cubeb mill.

10. Consider your mother a heretic for buying premade pie crusts?
Naw, she cann't cook anyway.  She needs all the help she can get!

11. Subscribe to seven cooking magazines but mooch newspapers from your
coworkers?
I don't subscribe to anything but read and take them from the Dr's office
and check out the online paper

12. Stayed up late reading Escoffier, Brillat-Savarin, or Julia Child?
I stay up late reading period cookbooks, costuming books and trashy novels
so I suppose that counts

13. Say to yourself, "I can cook better than this" at a trendy restaurant?
Have even been known to go tell the chef!  If it's not too good I just start
a food fight then stay for the cleanup.

14. Know the difference between a china cap and a chinoise?
A what?

15. Fantasize about meeting Charles Ranhofer, James Beard, or Martino da
Como?
Fantasize about meeting lots of folks~even some of you guys

16. Brag about your 10-inch Dick?
Don't have one but if I did....

17. Know what the last question was about, you vulgar little creature, you?
evil grin...

18. Have a special carrying case for your knives, sharpening steel,
whetstone, and knife oil?
Naw.  Throw it all in a box

19. Spend hours in the "Used Equipment" section of the restaurant supply
store?
I always check out the scratch and dent seciton at Restaurant Depot!

20. Kept a sourdough starter alive for more than two months?
Yeah.  Used to do that sharing thing

Gee, I think that puts me around here;
16-20 points.  You are utterly lost.  Hie thee hence to the Culinary
Institute of America before your head explodes.

Olwen who has too much work to do today to be doing this stuff.