[Sca-cooks] A Little Diversion

BareToad at aol.com BareToad at aol.com
Mon Oct 29 13:37:40 PST 2001

Do you, or Have you ever:

1. Lectured complete strangers on the uses of
unfamiliar foodstuffs?

Yes.  I have also become somewhat infamous for my "bread in period" speech.

2. Know what "rocket" is?

No.  But now that I know that I should know, I will find out:-)

3. Sneered at the lazy yuppie scum who buy premade
polenta at the supermarket?

Um...I don't eat it.

4. Grown your own herbs?

Yes.

5.Grown your own vegetables?

Yes (some very odd ones too...tarrow root anyone?). Fruits too.

6. Grown your own wheat?

Not yet:-)

7. Foregone buying ice cream because the soup bones
have taken over your freezer?

Oh yes!

8. Made your own demi-glace?

Not yet.  Give me time, though...

9. Own five mortars and pestles, but can't find your
pepper mill?

Well, I have two, but one is on loan to a science teacher.  As to the Pepper Mill..my husband would have my hiney if I ever managed to lose it!

10. Consider your mother a heretic for buying
premade pie crusts?

My mom would have to actually make pies for this to apply.  I, however, was given all sorts of grief for making my own puff pastry when I made Portuguese Empadas.

11. Subscribe to seven cooking magazines but mooch
newspapers from your coworkers?

No.  I find that I am not too big of fan of cooking magazines though.  Maybe I will outgrow this.

12. Stayed up late reading Escoffier, Brillat-Savarin, or Julia Child?

No.

13. Say to yourself, "I can cook better than this"
at a trendy restaurant?

Frequently.

14. Know the difference between a china cap and a
chinoise?

No.

15. Fantasize about meeting Charles Ranhofer, James
Beard, or Martino da Como?

No.

16. Brag about your 10-inch Dick?

I am not the knife person in the house.  My husband doesn't let me near them , knowing what a tremendous klutz I am.

17. Know what the last question was about, you
vulgar little creature, you?

Yes.

18. Have a special carrying case for your knives,
sharpening steel,whetstone, and knife oil?

No. This is USMC's (my husband is a Marine)dept:-)

19. Spend hours in the "Used Equipment" section of
the restaurant supply store?

No.  This is Bakersfield, after all.  I love it and hate it all at the same time.

20. Kept a sourdough starter alive for more than two
months?

No.  This is my next bread project, though.

Hey!  Stefan and I scored the same!!  5 points:-)  Hehe...

Mairin