[Sca-cooks] re: a little diversion

Mercy Neumark mneumark at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 30 08:40:54 PST 2001

>Take the following test and determine your personal level of
>culinary geekdom.

Sort of funny...my fandom friends (not sca) get so peeved when I say we are
geeks.  Like being a geek is SO horrible.  And now, we have a test that
makes us WANT to be geeks.  Heh.  Just thought it was amusing somewhat.

 > Do you, or Have you ever:
 >
 > 1. Lectured complete strangers on the uses of unfamiliar foodstuffs?

Yep.  Mostly asian stuff since that I know (well, more or less...I am FAR
from being knowledgeable...but one day perhaps).

 > 2. Know what "rocket" is?

Is that what is in a Jet's pocket? (Stay cool, boy!)

 > 3. Sneered at the lazy yuppie scum who buy premade polenta at the
 > supermarket?

If I knew what polenta was, I just might!  Yeah!

 > 4. Grown your own herbs?

Yep.

 > 5. Grown your own vegetables?

Yep.

 > 6. Grown your own wheat?

Nope...but I THINK I grew corn ONCE...you can make corn meal out of it, thus
making corn bread.  Yummy corn bread and honey.  Uuummmmm!

>7. Foregone buying ice cream because the soup bones have taken over
>your freezer?

Do steaks count (they have bones)?  My freezer is FILLED with meat because I
would buy up a BUNCH at a time when it goes on sale.  I had to remove the
ice tray recently, because my meat was taking over the entire place!  Who
needs ice anyhow?

>8. Made your own demi-glace?

At least once, but I wasn't aware it was considered a demi-glaze at the
time.

And as a potter, I glaze de pots, so does that mean its a "de-me glazed"?
Ok, it's a stretch, but heq, I tried!  Do I get a point for that?

>9. Own five mortars and pestles, but can't find your pepper mill?

Does making your own mortar and pestle count?

>10. Consider your mother a heretic for buying premade pie crusts?

My mother?  Bake?  BWAH-ha-HA!!!!

 > 11. Subscribe to seven cooking magazines but mooch newspapers from
your work colleages

I actually don't subscribe...I have a connection to a local used book store,
so I get tons of magazines from them.  Hey, just because they aren't hot off
the presses doesn't mean they ain't good!

>12. Stayed up late reading Escoffier, Brillat-Savarin, or Julia
Child?

Yep.  Actually, on the opposite, I used to wake up early to catch Julia's
cooking show when I was a kid.  Yep, I had a SAD childhood, but MAN do I
just love Julia!

 > 13. Say to yourself, "I can cook better than this" at a trendy
restaurant?

Yep.  Normally, I think my roomate can cook better than this, but I KNOW
I've said the same for myself too.

 > 14. Know the difference between a china cap and a chinoise?

Nope.

 > 15. Fantasize about meeting Charles Ranhofer, James Beard, or

The ONLY people I would be excited to meet would probably be Martin Yan or
Julia Child.  Maybe Wolfgan Puck...hmmm.

>16. Brag about your 10-inch Dick?

I'm a lady...of COURSE yes.

>17. Know what the last question was about, you vulgar little
creature, you?

What last question? ::flutter eyelashes::

>18. Have a special carrying case for your knives, sharpening steel,

Nope.

>19. Spend hours in the "Used Equipment" section of the restaurant
supply store?

Yes!  There is one down the street from me. And I go to Goodwill regularly
to see if there are any good bargins there.  You'd be very surprised.

 > 20. Kept a sourdough starter alive for more than two months?

Nope.

Here are a couple somewhat easy questions extra:

a)  Can you name three (or more) items found in music bands that make their
way in the kitchen?

There is also the opposite: Bread, Taste of Honey, The Birds and hopefully
not, but the Beatles (or The Monkeys come to think about it).

c)  What actually does go in SPAM??? <evil grin>

I know THAT one!  Salty goodness.  Um.  ::shiver::

--Arte