[Sca-cooks] A little diversion

Dunbar, Debra debra.dunbar at aspenpubl.com
Tue Oct 30 10:24:55 PST 2001

Ok, I'll bite.
Wrynne

>    Do you, or Have you ever:> >
>  1. Lectured complete strangers on the uses of unfamiliar foodstuffs?
	 Yes.  My cousin once thought the water chestnuts were under cooked
potatoes
>  2. Know what "rocket" is?
	Yep
> 3. Sneered at the lazy yuppie scum who buy premade polenta at the
>  supermarket?
	  No, but the stuff always looks ICK to me.  Besides, I have been
known to eat that Swanson canned Chicken a'la King.
>  4. Grown your own herbs?
	 Yep
> 5. Grown your own vegetables?
	  Yep
>  6. Grown your own wheat?
	  Accidently. My parents live on what used to be a farm field.  We
also have the occasional corn stalk.
> 7. Foregone buying ice cream because the soup bones have taken over your
> freezer?
	 Actually the soup stock, bones, and the tub you have to freeze for
the ice cream maker take up my whole freezer.  We are attempting to buy a
used freezer before I go crazy.
>  8. Made your own demi-glace?
	 Not on purpose.
> 9. Own five mortars and pestles, but can't find your pepper mill?
	  I own several grinders, but only the one mortar and pestle.
> 10. Consider your mother a heretic for buying premade pie crusts?
	  My mom is a child of the 50's convienence era.  She buys pre-made
pies and instant mashed potatoes.  She can cook, but her priorities are
elsewhere.
>  11. Subscribe to seven cooking magazines but mooch newspapers from
> your coworkers?
	  I always mooch the kitchen paper at work, but subscribe to only 1
cooking magazine.  Why should I when there are so many cool resources for
free on-line?
> 12. Stayed up late reading Escoffier, Brillat-Savarin, or Julia Child?
>   No, I stay up late reading things like Paul Robeson's biography by his
> son, and Chienne de Guerre .
> 13. Say to yourself, "I can cook better than this" at a trendy restaurant?
>    Trendy restaurant?  Do they serve hot dogs and chicken nuggets shaped
> like dinosaurs?  The pre-schooler rules the house.
>  14. Know the difference between a china cap and a chinoise?
	 No, but sounds familiar
>  15. Fantasize about meeting Charles Ranhofer, James Beard, or Martino da
>  Como?
>   No, but I'd love to meet Rob Zombie.
>  16. Brag about your 10-inch Dick?
	Don't have one.
>  17. Know what the last question was about, you vulgar little creature,
> you?
	 Don't have one of those either.  And am not envious of those who
do.
	   18. Have a special carrying case for your knives, sharpening
steel,
>  whetstone, and knife oil?
	  Heck, the cheapy knives have their own case.
> 19. Spend hours in the "Used Equipment" section of the restaurant supply
> store? the bargain area
	  The husband does and I just clutch my checkbook and quake in fear.
>  20. Kept a sourdough starter alive for more than two months?
	 Oh yeah.  We ran out of room with all the Trix yogurt and string
cheese I now must buy, so "herman" got used up.