[Sca-cooks] Re: noodle-making memories

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Oct 30 17:04:28 PST 2001

I can remember going to my great grandmother's
and insisting that we make noodles. She'd roll them
thin enough that you could see the oilcloth designs
through them. She would roll them into cylinders and
cut them on the angle so they were little winged shaped
pieces. These were German noodles where
there are extra egg yolks thrown in, so they were
yellow. Usually cooked in chicken broth.
The other weird custom that the family has is that
noodles are always served for holidays and they are
eaten over mashed potatoes, instead of gravy. This seems
to be a central Illinois farm custom.

Johnna Holloway