[Sca-cooks] Safety of homemade hand-cream?

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 30 18:02:20 PST 2001

On 30 Oct 2001, at 1:27, Kelsey wrote:

> I wish I could encourage you in this but, I cannot.  This lotion would
> be good for home use only ....if kept in the fridge.....about a week.
> The villain in this recipe is the water which invites bacteria to come
> and enjoy the other goodies.

The rosewater is boiled away, leaving only the scent behind.

I should clarify that I just want to make this as an experiment, not
for regular use.  I am an inveterate dabbler.  I would like to bring it
to some future A&S display, and safely invite others to sample it.

> There is a company
> <http://www.thesage.com/index.html > that makes a preservative,
> Germaben II,  for such preparations available online if it wouldn't
> violate your desire for a period cosmetic. It's listed under lotion
> supplies I think.

Thank you for the link.

> A solid lotion bar would not have this problem.  Could the solid
> version be a viable alternative for your purposes?  If so I'm willing
> to help come up with a workable recipe.

The recipe should be fairly solid, as the only remaining liquid
should be several ounces of oil.  But there may be traces of
rosewater or apple juice that don't fully evaporate.

Thank you for your advice.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net