[Sca-cooks] Marzipan Request

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Oct 30 23:42:16 PST 2001

Olwen repied to Mairin with:
> >This question goes out to Olwen and all of you marzipan fans out there:
> >
> >I am cooking a feast in December and I have been approached by two very
> >trustworthy teenagers who would like to make a marzipan subtlety.   They
> >have
> >asked for a basic recipe for the marzipan and some hints for marzipan
> >novices.  Suggestions would be highly appreciated by both Jaren and Mary!
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >Mairin
>
> Mairin you can give my email address to Jaren and Mary and I will be happy
> to answer any questions they have.  There are several different methods one
> can use to make almond paste so it would depend on the equipment they have
> at hand to grind the nuts.  Also, and Stefan pop in here, they could look in
> the Florithingy for recipes and tips.
> Olwen

I had some communications problems last night, so I didn't get a chance
to reply to Mairin. Here is what I wrote then:

Well, you might point them toward this file in the FOOD-SWEETS
section of the Florilegium. I just recently updated this with some of
the recent commentary, but I also have more to add.
marzipan-msg      (53K) 10/10/01    Use of marzipan (almond paste) in sotelties.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/marzipan-msg.html

I think there is a recipe for marzipan in there, as well as info on using
the almond pastes and such that others, such as I believe Olwen, have
mentioned using.

I think there is a period recipe as well as some commentary on various
marzipan sotelties, which I haven't had time to move to the above file,
in this file:
sotelties-msg    (208K) 10/22/01    Sotelties and Warners
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/sotelties-msg.html
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net