[Sca-cooks] Soup for the Qan - Used copy $135 US

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Oct 31 06:04:19 PST 2001

Wanda Pease wrote:

> I ordered mine before it came out because I had been corresponding with Paul
> Buell for some time about it.  Both Amazon and Barnes and Noble confirmed my
> order at $127.  Then the Publisher upped the price to $225 and they tried to
> cancel.  However, B&N had already shipped Adamantius (I think) his copy for
> $127.  I called B&N up and bitched big time!  In the end they not only gave
> it to me for $127 but they didn't charge me shipping and gave me a $10 gift
> certificate to boot.
>
> According to Paul there is no "2nd" edition.  He was furious at the
> publisher because he wanted his work out there someplace besides a
> University sub basement!

I think there were several factors at work. One is that a lot of people pre-ordered it from places like Amazon, who will cheerfully sell you a book months before it is published, and in some cases it either is never published, or there's a delay, causing people to cancel orders. In the mean time, the publisher is looking to be certain they don't flood the world with unsold copies, step down production, and then realize they still won't break even unless they raise their prices. Everything printed after this becomes an identical "second edition". It's sort of a downward spiral, since then the people who pre-ordered at $125 or so, who are now being told they can have the "second edition" for a hundred dollars or so more than the originally promised price. Most of them just cancel, and some of them find remainders of the original printing for the original price with another vendor. I just got lucky, and you seem to have managed to luck out as well. And I didn't get free shipping
 and a gift certificate! Maybe I should have called them and complained that they had given you these things, and they could have raised the ante a bit, then you could call them again... .

Adamantius

--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com