[Sca-cooks] My first Aten event

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 31 06:34:32 PST 2001

>I believe you also have to be careful not to move to a new area and
>immediately start saying or giving the impression of "They did things
>so much better where I came from.

This was not meant to be a "we did it better in Ansteorra" thing.
I was warned when I came here that not a lot of period cooking
is done in Atenveldt. First off, the competition was a much
different format than what I was used to. I'm used to all the
entries being presented before the public and any documentation
or description available to anyone who was interested. This
competition was presented only to the judges and announced
to the crowd. I was hoping that the entries would be laid out
so that people could taste them at their leisure.

I know that I can't barge into some kitchen like a period food
nazi and exclaim that they are all doing it wrong. I had hoped
that I could have gotten more people to at least try the dish
so they could realize a "prune pie" actually tastes good. The
judges seemed impressed with the dish at least. Perhaps I was
disappointed in that where I come from the general opinion is
that "If Gunthar made it, it must be good" and people will
try it. Unfortunately, nobody knows my rep here and are reluctant
to try stuff of mine, no matter what my rank or possible Crown
standings may grant me.

It's going to be slow going but I hope to change some attitudes
as I changed them in Ansteorra. By talking with the cooks and
expressing enthusiasm for cooking and discussing period foods in
context with the modern food they are already preparing.

I'm not saying that Atenveldt is bad or backward or whatever. But
I do see an area that could be open for change. Not, "Like we did
back home" but could improve in the SCA evolution. The same as
"Sword and Shield" Ansteorra now has far more period style tournaments
and even greatswords at the barrier in Crown.

Impose my will? No. But maybe show a new generation of cooks and
populace a new cuisine and have them all enjoy the challenges to make
things more period. Yes.

>Good luck, Gunthar. So, will you be cooking a feast or winning
>Crown in Atenveldt first to further your missionary aims?

I hope to help with some feasts. I make no claims to ever win
a Crown until the pointy hat goes on my head. To make such claims,
even if you are a super-Duke, shows only arrogance and demeans
those others who also feel they should be Crown. There are many
excellent fighters in this kingdom who are more than capable of
making sure I don't make it into the final rounds. Besides, even
if one were guaranteed for me I would be hesitant to become the
Crown of a kingdom until I were familiar with all aspects of the
society and the populace were aware of who I was.

>THLord  Stefan li Rous

Gunthar