[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #512 - 14 msgs

Anne du Bosc mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 1 06:09:41 PDT 2001

Master A wrote slanderously thus:
>>You can
then age it in barrels and
such to remove some of the nasty-tasting esters
that have been distilled
out with your alcohol, which gives you, in
theory, a smooth, drinkable
product, as opposed to harsh "white lightning".<<

I guess it depends upon the quality of the white
lightning.....but I have tasted 'shine that was
so smooth you didn't notice the kick til it hit
your belly, unlike MOST of the commercially made
and sold liquors I have ever experienced.  I
guess that the difference would be that I come
from a part of the world where until a few years
gone making fine whiskey at home was a valued
tradition.  (not that <I> ever made any, if the
revenuer is reading this, of course.  No, not
meeee.)
Okay, the following are generalizations
simplified for the uninitiated:
Wine is fruit that is allowed to ferment
(sometimes with the aid of a bit of sugar and/or
yeast).  The solid parts are strained out, and
it's then bottled.  (Alcohol content from about
8% to around 20%??)
Brandy is that same wine distilled to so that you
have a higher alcohol content(alcohol content
from about 40% to about 90%)
Fortified wine is wine and brandy mixed, with an
alcohol content somewhere in the middle.
Beer is wine made from grains.
Whiskey is Brandy made from beer.
Mead is wine made from honey or fruit syrups.
Rum is distilled, fermented cane syrup.
In general, anything that has sugar content can
be fermented, and once it's fermented you can
distill it to increase the alcohol content.
People like fermenting stuff and drinking the
results.  They've even been known to drink
distilled, fermented potatoes and agave plant.

Mordonna