[Sca-cooks] cider quotations

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Sep 5 09:20:20 PDT 2001

Here are some more cider quotations that predate those provided
by Jadwiga.

c1475(c1445) Pecock Donet (Bod 916)   137/22:
It were forboden to hem forto drinke ale or sydir or whey or
 eny oþire drynkeable þing of lasse delicacye þan is wyne.

a1500(c1477) Norton OAlch.(Add 10302)   2304:
Liquour is in many maners fownde Owte of thingis that be
on grownde: Som bi cuttynge, as terebentyne, Som with
pressinge, as sydyre and wyne.

These come from the Middle English Dictionary which also has
a number of quotes starting in 1375 that keep saying...
 what this quote from (c1384) says:
 WBible(1) (Dc 369(2))   Luke 1.15:
 He schal not drynke wyn and sydir [vrr. cyser, cyther].
Apparently not drinking wine or cider was quite noteworthy.

Johnna Holloway