[Sca-cooks] cider

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Sep 5 08:36:47 PDT 2001

> Non-Alcoholic stuff is called apple juice and if you get the real thing it
> is lovely, not processed in packets from the supermarket, but freshly
> sqeezed/pressed and bottled for drinking.

The OED includes one period quote that indicates that 'new cider' was a
term used:
"1576 FOXE A. & M. I. 260/1 This ague he [K. John] also encreased..by
eating Peaches and drinking of new Ciser, or as we call it Sider."

Despite the OED's definition, I wonder if 'new' means 'unfermented' or
just 'this year's'?

Other quotes seem to indicate that the term 'cider' was being used
interchangeably with juice:

"1663 BOYLE Usefulness Exper. Philos. II. 175 'Tis known, that
Sydar, Perry, and other Juyces of Fruits, will afford such a spirit. 1708
J. PHILIPS Cyder 11, My mill Now grinds choice apples and the
British vats O'erflow with generous cider."

In other words, the term 'cider' was applied from the moment of pressing,
whether or not the stuff was previously fermented-- which is the U.S.
usage.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa