[Sca-cooks] Them Peanutses

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Sat Sep 1 05:44:48 PDT 2001

OK, I've got the time to look into this now. First
off, my bad - of course PLatina doesn't have a
recipe with peanuts in it. That's just what the
commentator in the book I read it in made it sound
like. ("a similar recipe found in Platina....
(three sentences later) ... of course he doesn't
use peanuts...).

The recipe is from the cookbook of Frantz de
Rontzier "Eyn Kunstbuch von Mancherley Essen",
which is south German and dates from the 16th
century (and I still haven't been able to find the
bloody exact date! Talk about bad quoting habits).
Anyways, the two recipes I have (in translation
and redacted, but without the original text,
again, bloody stupid authors!) go like this:

"Peanuts are boiled in water for a quarter of an
hour. When they are done they are shelled and
mixed in a small pot with small raisins, butter,
pepper and wine"

the redaction given calls for 4oo grammes of
peanuts (unshelled), 1/2 tblsp butter, 2 tblsp
raisins, som,e pepper, nutmeg and a pinch of salt
for the water. The peanuts are to be boiled
without their shells, but still in their brown
skins.

The other one goes:

"Peanuts are also fried in butter. When they are
to be served at the table, they are seasoned with
bitter orange juice, salt and pepper"

Here the redaction calls for 400 grammes of
peanuts freed from their skins, fried in 1 tblsp
of butter and seasoned with 100 ml of bitter
orange juice and salt and pepper to taste.

I'm itching to try either. And I'm even more
interested in finding a copy of that cookbook.
Anyone heard of it?

in service

Giano