[Sca-cooks] Period German Recipes

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Sat Sep 1 10:11:20 PDT 2001

lilinah at earthlink.net schrieb:

> This post is on topic! O-muh-gawd!

> --- Entremets
> a few simple sweet and savory dishes - possibly something "cookie"
> like, a tart, and some savory snacky thing

The peanut recipes I posted earlier might be good
for this. Also, there is a very nice almond tart
in the cookbook of Sabina Welserin that I can
share a proven redaction for if you want it (heavy
and sweet, ideal for dark winter days). I can also
recommend from tasting experience (not cooking)
the 'filled eggs' presented in a low German
cookbook c. 1500 that I have an (untested)
redaction for, again happy to share if you want
it.

> --- Second Course
> roast pork legs (traditional) - we just stuff lots of garlic under
> the skin and roast, so i don't need a recipe
> sauces - i am looking for several of these

Try the sauce of tart cherries from Meister
Eberhart. Recipe on request (sorry, pressed for
time right now). Very good, and SCA-tested at this
years Horseradish War.

> cabbage - i need a recipe

Red cabbage? Very good, and very German. Cut up
small and briefly fried, then sinmmered with
onions and apples...

> --- Finale
> Boar's Head Sotiltie - made of medieval cake and covered with marzipan

Marzipans? They were very popular in Renaissance
times, are fairly simple and can be decorated as
you wish (the cookbook I started a translation on
talks of making a hedgehog).

> Of course, not being terribly familiar with Medieval/Renaissance
> German cuisine, i may be overlooking somethign wonderful and
> interesting.

If you're happy with fish, you might want to try
the Jerusalem Spis from gute spise: 600 grammes
filleted cod boiled in almond milk (1/2 liter
white wine with 150g ground almonds) then seasoned
with sugar (3 tblsp), lemon juice and amaretto (or
almond aroma) (1 tblsp each, the latter is
allegedly unneccessary if you use fresh almonds -
a luxury I rarely enjoy. A very alien-tasting but
good period dish.

If I can be of assistance with any translations
let me know.

Giano